The Tributes are Announced

I woke up with what felt like a butterfly fluttering around inside of me.  Today was the day where I would find out whether I would be participating in the annual Hunger Games. I could hear the other kids from district 10 playing outside with no worries whatsoever. I looked down to see my hands trembling like an earthquake was about to hit. When I looked outside, I saw the game makers walking to every house and pulling the kids down to the place where the reaping would be held. Five houses away, four, three, two. Quickly, I threw on my nicest dress and put my hair up in a tight bun, but shook when I heard a loud pounding on the front door. Slowly and calmly I walked towards the noise but was abruptly pulled outside and towards the high podium when I opened the door. I looked over and saw the camera that was broadcasting the reaping all the way to the capitol. By then the creases in my hands were each individual rivers, my hair was falling out of its bun, I was just a mess waiting to hear my future. My mother and father were racing down, hoping to hear the names. Harper Hayes reached into the big glass bowl, picking out the girl first. I thought about my home, my family, everything. Time slowed down, and the only thing I heard was Ella Moe. Ella Moe is my name. I am going to the Hunger Games, and now my life is on the line.  I worried about my mother, when she is home with my father, will he take care of her? I worried about the animals and the town, because not much income is arriving anymore. I worried about my brother, oh Timothy. He is only 2 years old and it was my job to take care of him. What is going to happen? Am I going to make it home alive, or am i going to die trying?

All I heard was Harper’s voice on the microphone, telling me what an honor it was to fight to the death just to show everyone not to mess with the capital.  My heart was pounding out of my chest as I walked up to the stage. She shot up my hand and held it up high as she whispered loudly in my ear and told me to look happy or the other candidates would think of me as weak. Weak was the last thing I wanted to be called, so I put the biggest, fake smile on my face and waved to everyone around me. I could smell Harper’s strong, flowery perfume and began to feel unconscious after standing next to her for too long. I made eye contact with my mother and she gave me a look of confidence, as if she already knew that I was going to win. I felt a smile scurry across my face when I saw Timothy waving at me and trying to get my attention. At least he didn’t know what was going on. After the boy was called, I was taken to a long train, without even being able to say goodbye. It was time to train, and it was time to fight.

4 thoughts on “The Tributes are Announced

1. I thought that this post was very well written. It would make it a little better if you described what was going on around you. For example saying how everyone looked around you. Overall I thought this was a really good post.

2. I like the many similes you have, one I liked was “I looked down to see my hands trembling like an earthquake was about to hit.” One thing that you could improve on would be it seemed like you did a bit of announcing.

3. The sequence of the story was good though the reaping was a bit rushed. There could have been a bit more build up. There was great personification and insight into the characters mind, though more interactions with the world could have been shown. Also, the environment could have been more clear to the reader with better sensory details. There was a lot about Ella Moe, but not enough about everything else, in terms of details.

4. Wow! Your opening was the best out of the 3 I read. I could imagine everything. The only problem for me was I thought you rushed a little. When you were taken from your home immediately than your name was drawn and than you were on a train. other than that This was very well written.